What is neorealism?
Date published: 21st August 2013
Video hosting provided by Vimeo
"Neorealism is characterized by a general atmosphere of authenticity. Andre Bazin, a French film theorist and critic, argued that neorealism portrays: truth, naturalness, authenticity, and is a cinema of duration.
The necessary characteristics of neo-realism in film include
- a definite social context;
- a sense of historical actuality and immediacy;
- political commitment to progressive social change;
- authentic on-location shooting as opposed to the artificial studio;
- a rejection of classical Hollywood acting styles; extensive use of non-professional actors as much as possible;
- a documentary style of cinematography"